2014 (And My Gap Year) In A Post

, , No Comments
Hi lovely people!

It's December 31 which is the last day of 2014, technically. I personally don't feel like I have to celebrate the New Year, but sometimes when I look back at the past years, I feel so incredibly blessed. Like, each year turned out to be unexpected and it gives me more reasons to be thankful to God.

This year has got to be one of the most unforgettable years of my 19 years of life. I spent 11 months out of 12 in 2014 living in another country, traveling, helping others and of course with a lot of crying and laughing and nights spent over-thinking about what I'm gonna do with my life.

Last year when I decided to go, I never thought that it was gonna be challenging and difficult yet rewarding. The first 2 months were the hardest because that was my first time away from my family for a long time and I had no smartphone at the moment (yes, you can say I lived in a cave) so the only means of communication were Skype (twice in a month) and Facebook messages (occasionally) and e-mails. I cried a lot in the first week but then I got used to being away from my loved ones so I got to enjoy my new life and routines after 1-2 months, which is not bad, I guess. Take note, I didn't meet up with other Indonesians living in Germany (which has its own advantage in my German skills) so that homesick feeling was pretty bad for the first weeks.

My host family was really nice and suited me really well. We're Muslims, vegetarians and love going out in the nature. They taught me a lot of new things because I have to admit I was pretty naive about the outside world when I first came. This year I learned to get my things done, wash my own clothes, iron them myself, make decisions by myself and basically just... being treated as an adult and not teenager. I also did a lot of travelling (solo and with my friends). I went to France, Spain, and twice to the Netherlands. Some of the solo trips I did was actually pretty impulsive :p

Europe is beautiful and meaningful to me, but I also learned that we're all just humans, we're not that different. Just because I come from a Southern country doesn't mean that we Indonesians are inferior to the Europeans and other Northern countries. We all cry, we all laugh, we all have our own baggage that other people might not be able to see.

"We are all equal in the fact that we are all different. We are all the same in the fact that we will never be the same. We are united by the reality that all colours and all cultures are distinct & individual. We are harmonious in the reality that we are all held to this earth by the same gravity. We don't share blood, but we share the air that keeps us alive." - C. Joybell C.

Rara x










0 comments:

Post a Comment